Saturday, December 27, 2008

Things have been slow. Whatever.

Mittenfest III at the Elbow Room, day two: It looks like this whole thing has already been a great success. 826Michigan is deserving of it, and I was so excited to see a line 20 deep outside the Elbow Room. Maybe I should see if they can help me become more literate and use bigger words correctly. Hardy har har.

In all seriousness, seriously, my blogging time has come to an end for the time being. I have other things to focus on. There are more important things in life than blogging. OMG I KNOW RIGHT. It's weird, but I think I will adjust. I am sure you readers will adjust as well. I hear there are a lot of new blogs and bloggers in the area.

I apologize in advance for the length of this blog, but I have a lot of things that I feel I need to say, things that I think are important, things that I think you need to all talk about more or think about more. If you don't agree, than I really don't give a shit.

I have felt more submerged than ever this year in the "scene." Or "scenes" if you really think there is a need for distinct separations. I have spent an absurd amount of time watching bands play, talking about bands, writing about bands, etc. As I am sure most of you have. I can safely say that I am very happy with the way things are, and that I look forward to more bands and new people joining the scene. I think a lot of you are opposed to that. Sometimes, I even get a little bored with the little corner of the scene that I hole myself up in most of the time. It's nice to see some fresh faces. Open up your hearts, Detroit. I know this is a really tough time, but we cannot let the times defeat us. Keep doing what you are doing. Keep moving forward.

And now... For what you have all been waiting for (or not), my top whatever songs of blahblahblahblahblahblahblah (yes, this list is very narrow in the entire scope of the "scene" but I like what I like):

The Shaded Forest --- Deastro

I think this made it on 75% of my mixed CDs this year. "I told you we're gonna be fine, I t-t-t-told you, we're taking our time." Yes, we are. And things are going to be OK. How could they not be OK? Randolph is alive and putting out amazing shit at breakneck speeds. Fuck yeah, everything is gonna be fine.

The World's Worst Birthday Gift --- Silent Years
Epic, tender, dynamic. When they play this live, I still get a shiver up my spine.

Warmer Days Ahead --- Lightning Love
This song also has my pick for best lyrics of the year: "When winter's this cold I freeze every kind part of me, and I swear it's never planned, but no one understands. And when we gain some degrees, I'll come crawling on my knees, and you'll love me again."

Unicorn Bible --- Champions of Breakfast

It was hard picking my favorite, but this is one of the first songs I remember hearing.

That entire CD Pas/Cal released
I don't think I need to go into much detail. It was just really really really good.

OK, I am really tired and sick of writing, so here are some other songs (there were more, but I am lazy) I liked in no particular order:
El Dorado --- Javelins
Get Ripped --- Friendly Foes
Fog --- Mason Proper
Yes, I'm Cold --- Chris Bathgate
Snakeskin Hymnal --- I Just Wanted a Bite of Your Cookie (you have never heard of them, but go to cllct.com and download their entire discography, by the way, it was all recorded this year)

1 comment:

Quillen said...

I am way behind on my Google Reader, so I just got around to reading this list. I like! "The Shaded Forest" of course is aweseome. I hadn't seen Deastro in a long time until that pre-Thanksgiving show, I had entirely forgotten how great of a song that is.

Good pick on Javelin's "El Doredo" too. It's not my favorite, but there are these two specific moments in the song that I am just enthralled by.