Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hot Box!!!11

OK, so if you go to the Myspace page of Hot Box, you will see that they are from Massachusetts. But what you may not know is their drummer, Eric, is from Detroit. What you also may not know is that Hot Box is coming to Small's** in Hamtramck on July 12th.***


If you don't "have the time" to look at their myspace page, and perhaps listen to a few tunes, here's what you are missing: Hot Box is an indie/alternative band who lists their influences as Talking Heads, Alice in Chains, and Modest Mouse, just to name a few. Alice in Chains? I know, I did a double-take, too. Most indie folks would see that and think, 'omg, I would have put Mudhoney, that's sooo much cooler.' They are the kind of band that take me back to the days when I listened to The Get-Up Kids and Casket Lottery and sighed a lot. I like that feeling. Good times, good times.

I recently sat down at my computer and wrote an e-mail to Hot Box, asking them all the important questions. Although I would prefer a face-to-face interview (do you see how adorable they are!?), I have wittled down my usual list of important interview questions to the top three ESSENTIAL questions of all time. Amanda, the bodacious bass player of Hot Box, was kind enough to respond.

Elle: What are your favorite foods?
Amanda: Pumpkins
Danielle: Sesame Seed Bagel
Eric: Ice Cream

Elle: What brand of toothpaste are you using in your profile picture?
Amanda: Colgate. Total whitening, I think.

Elle: I can't use that, it hurts my teeth
*no response*

note to self: E-mails suck. They should invent some sort of real-time, maybe 'instant,' messaging system, where I can ask questions, and then they can answer, and then I can comment, and ask more questions. Srsly.

Elle: If you could play any other instrument, what would it be?
Amanda: Trumpet!(or brass in general) So I could write sweet dreamy horn parts like american football
Danielle: harp and drums
Eric: Piano

According to their blog, Hot Box is starting their "Fantasy 2008" tour right here in Michigan. Fantastic, I say! For those of you who may be reading this and aren't from Michigan, here are a list of tour dates:
Fantasy Tour 2008
July 12th @ Small's DETROIT, MI
July 13th @ the Orpahange CHICAGO, IL
July 14th @ Nottingham Coop MADISON, WI
July 15th @ the Way Out ST. LOUIS, MO
July 16th @ Bear's Place BLOOMINGTON IN
July 17th @ Pearl Nite Club DAYTON, OH
July 18th @ Knitting Factory (old office) NYC, NY
July 19th @ Trash Bar BROOKLYN NY
July 21st @ Club Hell PROVIDENCE RI
July 23rd @ Great Scott BOSTON, MA (Territories CD RELEASE!)


**Small's is actually having a night that isn't a Hell City Records showcase?!?! Are you kidding me?!?

***If you are in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area, come to the Elbow Room because my band will be playing there. And by "band," I mean that I am playing there. Solo-style.

No comments: